We at the GFA are now in the position of accepting promotion applications from current Level 7, 6 and 5 referees to the level above where they are currently operating.
If you wish to be considered for promotion the following criteria must be adhered to;
- Are aged 16 or over (Must be a current level 7 referee as a minimum)
- Have already officiated in at least 20 games of 11 a side football (15 of these must be open age mens or women’s football)
- Apply by 1st March 2019
All candidates who applied for promotion during the 2018/2019 season will be automatically included, regardless of whether you were successful or not, unless you tell us otherwise.
There has been one change to the Promotion process, as the promotion season will now run from season long, so this seasons promotions will run from March 2019 to May 2020.
The full criteria of what you will need to achieve to be considered for promotion are on pages 179-180 on the GFA handbook but in essence the following applies:
Level 7-6 & 6-5
- Must referee at least 20 games of open age (adult) 11 a side football (Male or female)
- Will be observed on at least 3 of those games by a GFA Observer to ensure you are at the standard required or above
- Must attend a promotion seminar and take an exam on the laws of the game (Further details and dates will be confirmed)
- Must act as an assistant referee on at least 5 Supply league games (Western league Div 1, County League, Hellenic League) or U18 Academy games
- Must referee at least 20 games as above
- Act as assistant referee on at least 10 games on the Supply league or U18 Academy
- Must attend an FA seminar and take an exam on the laws
- Should be observed 5 times as a referee
- Must take a fitness test running at least 2600 metres in 12 minutes and take 2 50 metre sprints in 7.5 seconds.
- Be available on Saturday and midweek going forwards for the higher level of football you will officiate in.
The benefits of applying for promotion are broad and will certainly help develop you as a referee but before you consider applying, if you are unsure on any aspect please contact me for a discussion.
If you wish to apply please follow the link below. There is a £10 deposit for applying for promotion which will need to be paid when you follow the link. This will be refunded when you complete the process and are successful or not. If however you withdraw midway through we reserve the right to keep your deposit for the costs the association incur.