Adult Male Players Have Their Say
The Gloucestershire FA received a great response when we recently asked Adult Male Players from across the county to give their feedback on the grassroots game.
We asked players to complete a series of questions to help give us an idea of the playing habits, motivations and views of adult males who play football in Gloucestershire.
Over a 3 week period, across January and February, over 900 players completed the survey to provide us with a large amount of data to work from in order to support and develop our work within the Adult Male Game.
The headline data from the survey shows:
- Adult males play for intrinsic reasons, for example: fun/enjoyment, social & health/fitness.
- The majority of players have enjoyed their playing experience this season.
- Lack of time is the biggest barrier to participation.
- Facilities also ranked highly on the list of barriers.
- Players tend to spend up to £10 per week on their participation in football.
- Improving player behaviour has been highlighted as an area of development, with increased support and training for Match Officials to deal with poor behaviour.
- Greater financial support is needed for Adult Male Clubs to support the sustainability of existing Teams and development of new Teams.
Following this Customer Insight it is imperative that the Gloucestershire FA acts on this feedback and provides clarity on how we will take this work forward.
The Gloucestershire FA now commits to:
- Provide specific funding for Adult Male Clubs – Details & applications will be launched in March 2018.
- Work with targeted Leagues to increase referee coverage and provide in-service training & development to improve quality of refereeing.
- Continue to work with Local Authorities and other facility providers to maintain and improve current pitches & changing rooms as well as provision of the Pitch Improvement Programme.
- Identify suitable partners to develop additional 3G facilities, whilst working with existing facilities to be recognised on The FA 3G Football Turf Pitch Register.
- Work with Leagues to improve player behaviour, utilising Respect & Fair Play Initiatives.
- Continue to support and roll-out online administration facilities to reduce administration time.
- Work with Leagues to implement new rule options as well as accessing pilot opportunities to meet the demands of modern football.
- Develop alternative 11v11 formats to meet the needs of modern lifestyles and participation habits.
Over the coming months we will be working with our partners and stakeholders to ensure feedback from this survey is put in to action, however if you are involved in Adult Male Football and would like to get in touch then please do hesitate contact us.
- Jack Stanbury (Leagues & Clubs in Bristol & South Gloucestershire): Jack.Stanbury@GloucestershireFA.com
- Scott Milne (Leagues & Clubs in Gloucestershire): Scott.Milne@GloucestershireFA.com
Please find attached a Full Report on the Gloucestershire FA Adult Male Player Survey.