Gloucestershire FA Football Centre

GFA Representative Team Match Report

Gloucestershire FA 2 – 1 Cornwall FA

Cornwall goalkeeper James Wignall (Helston Athletic) had a weekend to remember as he celebrated his 18th birthday on Saturday and then produced an inspired goalkeeping display on Sunday to keep Cornwall in the game on the 3G pitch at Oaklands Park.

Cornwall found themselves enjoying the early exchanges, however couldn’t create any clear cut chances in the final third.

Wignall then produced a great save denying a left footed strike from Brendon Talbot (Forest Green Rovers).

Sammy Gilchrist (Yate Town) was the next player to be denied the opening goal as his strong run through the middle ended with a right footed shot, only to be superbly saved by Wignall. From the resulting corner, Jack Dancy (Hartpury College), managed to beat Wignall, only to see his header cleared off the line.

Finally, in the 42nd minute, Gloucestershire took a deserved lead when some excellent build up play found Jack Holmes (Forest Green Rovers) on the left hand side, whose shot took a deflection and ended up in the back of the net past a stranded Wignall.

Half time: Gloucestershire FA 1 – 0 Cornwall FA

Gloucestershire emerged from the break, pressing for all important second goal, only to find Wignall still in inspired form. Callum Wands (Hartpury College) was the latest player to be denied.

However, Gloucestershire managed to double their advantage in the 57th minute, when a good through ball found Sammy Gilchrist who calmly went round the onrushing goalkeeper and finished from an acute angle.

Cornwall were now pushing to get back into the game, Josh Langer (Cirencester Town) produced a great save to push the ball over the bar from a well-placed shot.

This pressure eventually paid off in the 64th minute when a deep corner was headed back across goal, where Jack Fairbrother tapped the ball in.

Gloucestershire responded well and two minutes later Jordan Molyneux (Gloucester City) hit the crossbar.

Cornwall in the 70th minute were celebrating an equaliser, only to see the assistant referee’s flag up after a 25 yard free kick rebounded to Harry Ahearn who had stepped offside before putting the ball in the net.

Gloucestershire didn’t learn from this narrow escape; however Josh Langer kept his concentration in goal to clear a Callum Mchee shot of the line.

Wignall kept his best save until the last minute when he produced an instinctive save from Luke Soule (Forest Green Rovers) who connected with a left wing cross from six yards out.

Matt Dickinson then signalled the end to a great game of football which on the balance of play Gloucestershire deserved.

Final Score: Gloucestershire FA 2 – 1 Cornwall FA